Moulin Rouge! The Musical Sweeps The 74th Annual Tony Awards®
The Broadway production of Moulin Rouge! The Musical has won a total of 10 Tony Awards including Best Musical.
The musical mash-up extravaganza, based on Baz Luhrmann’s revolutionary film MOULIN ROUGE! returned to the stage two weeks ago after an 18-month hiatus due to the pandemic. Moulin Rouge! The Musical will open at the Piccadilly Theatre in London’s West End from Friday 12th November and more tickets have been now released.
Global Creatures CEO and producer of Moulin Rouge! The Musical Carmen Pavlovic said during her acceptance speech for Best Musical:
“It’s such an honour and a thrill to be able to bring fellow Aussies Baz Luhrmann and Catherine Martin’s epic and beloved masterpiece to the stage.
On behalf of Bill Damaschke, Gerry Ryan and myself, it’s such an honour to be here. We love our Moulin Rouge! company, we love our show, and we love talking about it.
But on an historic night such as this, it feels a little odd to be talking about one show as ‘Best Musical’. I feel that every show of last season deserves to be thought of as the ‘Best Musical’.
The shows that opened, the shows that closed, not to return, the shows that nearly opened and, of course, the shows that paused and are fortunate enough to be reborn.
‘Best Musical’ is all those shows; ‘best’ is what we’ve had to find in ourselves as we’ve walked this unimaginable journey and carried our shows across the desert. ‘Best’ is what we know we need to become as we reimagine the Broadway of the future.”
Moulin Rouge! The Musical won a total of 10 Tony Awards:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein
- Best Scenic Design in a Musical –Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
Book your tickets now for best availability from January at the Piccadilly Theatre